If you’ve been watching Blue Planet II over the past few weeks, you may have seen one of the most recent episodes where a baby pilot whale died due to plastic pollution in the ocean. The Mother carried the dead whale for 2 days until eventually giving up.
This happens often and animals often consume plastic that’s floating around in the sea. The episode also showed smaller animals like turtles becoming trapped in floating debris and plastic.
Here are some very simple ways to reduce waste and become more mindful every day.
- Carry your cups. Buying a reusable cup to pick up your coffee and hot drinks can make a big difference. Some places even give you some money off for using one! If not, try and drink your coffee in to save that waste.
- Buy loose fruit and veg, tea and look for food with minimal packaging when shopping. It often can be cheaper and will reduce that extra plastic being put into the oceans.
- Reuse those takeaway boxes! If you do have to get some plastic for example when you order a Chinese try to reuse the boxes throughout the house.
- Grow your own, if you can! If you have the space growing your own fruit and veg can really help the planet.
- Carry a reusable plastic bag, it saves those 5ps and helps the planet.
What do you do to be more mindful? Comment below!